Friday, January 1, 2010

Top 10 of 2009

At the end of the year (or beginning of the new one as the case may be), I like to do what seems to be the cool thing to do: reflect. Today I will reflect on my 10 favorite records of 2009. A disclaimer, though, is that the following records may or may not have been released in 2009. Regardless of this detail, they were albums that were in regular rotation in my Itunes library and/or car (actually, in Heidi's car since my stereo broke in my car about six months ago), and I either discovered them or rediscovered them throughout the course of the last year. So, without further ado, here they are...

10. Hillsong Live - This is Our God. This is an amazing worship album. I had bucked against Hillsongs when it came to worship music ever since I grew very tired of Shout to the Lord back in 1996. This album turned me on to them again...love the lyrics, love the arrangements, love the passion that is captured on this record.

9. Rick Hopkins - Where we Are and Where We Long to Be. Yes, Rick is a good friend, but I think I would even listen to this record if I didn't know him. You can tell he puts a lot of work into writing good lyrics, good riffs, and just overall good music. It's been great to be a part of his life, and I'm glad he keeps writing music.

8. The Brothers Martin - The Brothers Martin. For those of you who remember Starflyer 59 and Joy Electric, you must listen to this record. Ronnie Martin from Joy Electric, and his brother Jason Martin from Starflyer 59 collaborated to create a pop-rock-electronic-indie masterpiece. This is it.

7. David Gray - Life in Slow Motion. Yes, David Gray came out with a new record this year called Draw the Line. It was good, but I'm stuck on Life in Slow Motion. I love this record. I love the transparency and the creativity he puts into his music. A side note is that I got to see him in concert in the fall. It was amazing.

6. Catfish Gracie - Kalamazoograss. You can't go wrong with bluegrass. Bluegrass has really grown on my in the last year. I love the heartbreak, the spirituality, and the longing for the everlasting. Catfish Gracie is a local band from, you guessed it, Kalamazoo. They play some mean bluegrass.

5. Motion City Soundtrack - Commit This To Memory. Just some good old pop-punk. Not sure if they would classify themselves as that, but I like them. They make me smile...and make the afternoons at work go quicker.

4. Josh Garrels - Jacaranda. No offense to the mainstream Christian artists, but you all got nothing on this guy. Josh Garrels is awesome. Great singer/songwriter. Great musician. This guy gets it done. Do yourself a favor and listen to ANY of his stuff.

3. Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker. For those of you who are thinking, "oh yeah! I love that song 'Summer of 69'" do yourself a favor and go destroy all of your Bryan Adams music...it will really make the world a better place. I mean what I say when I say Ryan Adams is a great songwriter. I also mean what I say when I say Bryan Adams can take "everything he does" and stay in Canada. As for Heartbreaker, amazing record from the first track to the last.

2. Ray Lamontagne - Gossip in the Grain. What I love about Ray Lamontagne is that he's sort of a throwback to the 1970's. This record did not dissapoint.

1. Jason Mraz - We Sing, We Dance, We Steel Things. This earns the number one slot because many nights were spent listening to the whole record while dancing around the living room with Ella. And those are memories that will be with me forever.


No comments: